When he said that one of the remarkable things about life is that it’s never so bad that it cannot get worse, he knew what he was talking about.
A series of events had been happening that made me feel that this has got to be the tipping point. But every time my mind told me – come on, you can take more shit. Actually not because you can, but you have to. Because of your own stupidity.
1. I failed a test miserably. In fact I was the lowest scorer in class. The professor had laid out the score groups on board. He pointed at the lowest score and said that even that person still had a chance to pass the course with a full gpa. When saying that he looked at me. I gulped. It brought back memories, where I failed almost every subject for two years just because I hated to study and did not study at all. At all. Goosebumps.
2. I have been trying to look for jobs but not been successful. Because I have been “trying” rather lazily. Proof: I have given just one interview. I hate following up with irresponsible HRs.
3. One of my roommates is very scared of insects. I am not. In fact, I love them. Of course not pests, but even in that case killing is the last option for me. I try getting rid of them in different ways. After getting rid of two spiders, I went to cook and saw a dude that kind of scared me too. It was large with large legs. My friend cried. I checked if it had wings. Thankfully it did not. Still, it was quick on legs and sneaky. I could not figure a way out to get rid of it without harming it. By the time I caught it I had done it enough harm to just throw it outside to let it live. I flushed it down the commode. In retrospect it was beautiful. I feel bad, but I guess I tried.
He was kind of trying to tell us – if I can enter your house, anyone can ( relevance will be found later). Again, solution was pest control right after we moved in.
4. I missed my chance to go to Keene, New Hampshire, over the weekend for pumpkin festival. I also missed a performance by BeatleMania, a band that covers Beatles’ songs. It was at Keene too. I missed it because I had a lot of homework and had to work on the subject that failed in, in point 1. Solution same as that for 1. Had I not failed I might have gone in most probability despite lot of homework.
5. My housemate was depressed yesterday. A lot. She discussed stuff with me and my other roommate and things calmed down for her after talking to us. My other roommate convinced her to go out with her. She convinced me too by telling her that this was a no nonsense bar and there was Scottish band that would be playing live. That was enough for me. I thought I deserved a break after studying the whole day. We came home drunk and I passed out immediately. The band was not all that great and I got more drunk than I expected. Very early in the morning my head was spinning and I was thinking – why the hell did I go. Then a little late in the morning while I was still sleeping I again thought – why the hell did I go. I should be spending my money wisely. I was surprised at myself for thinking so much about it. It was no big deal really.
6. While I was debating whether to get up and get my shit together or keep sleeping I just happened to turn my head and look up to one of the four windows in my room. It was unusually clear, the sky. I squinted. The net was raised. I got pissed off at my roommate for opening it. Was she really feeling that hot? And then she has to call me to get rid of all the insects that she is scared of. Also, it is completely unsafe. I got up and started closing it. I thought that I need to deal with this right now and woke up my hungover friend and scolded her for keeping it open. She said that she did not open it. I got more angry and called her a drunkard. She repeated herself. She was half asleep and half hungover. But I got scared. What if she was not lying? I immediately rushed to check for my laptop. Missing. I asked her to check hers. Missing. I asked my other housemate too. Missing. I rushed to check my passport. Phew! It was not stolen. We found some other things missing too. I had already decided to go around the shops selling second hand computers. We lodged a police complaint.
7. We had to take care of certain other things and my friend who lives nearby called us for lunch. I had only had some tea and noodles since the incident and was very hungry. As I was eating my friend was narrating a story of his friend whose house got burgled too. I asked him what all had she lost, so that I could find the pattern and know if I had lost something that I was not yet aware of. He said – laptop, slr camera. I froze and jumped. Food fell off my mouth. I was calm about the whole thing until then. I broke down. My other friend who had cried a lot and zoned out because she thought she had lost the most stared at me. That camera was me. I had a story with it. I had bought it with my own money, the only money that was with me that point. I had kept it hidden from my parents for a few days. I had bought it because I was done with waiting for things in life and I did not care about buying an entry level camera. I wanted to but a professional one and teach myself photography. It was my most priced possession. I was not ready to go home and check for it. I was ready to go to camera shops and check if it was there but I had no heart to go home and check for it. My friend offered to go home and check. My nostrils were flaring all the time and I thought that I was going to get a heart attack. It was stolen too.
8. My friend who was zoned put was better after my camera incident, because she probably found out that someone had lost more than she had. She had kept saying before that that she was jinxed. Later she started cursing the new house. She said it caused us a lot of financial loss. I lost it and told her that I was not going to entertain her stupidity anymore. If she fails to accept that the problem is with us, because we have been dumb, she will never find the true problem and keep repeating her mistakes and keep cursing her stars. We were lucky that no one was at home. There was a chance that she or I could have stayed. If the theives would not have confirmed properly in that case, we would have been either injured in a traumatic way or dead meat. We did not lose our passports. Period.
PS: this is typed using my cellular 🙂 I have my friend’s crappy laptop but you got to do what you got to do.